If you are keen on gardening or are an avid gardener, you must have surely heard of grow bags. Grow bags are large fabric-like bags that are filled with soil and are used to grow vegetables and flowers. They are perfect if you do not have the required space for gardening. Fabric grow pots are also an easy and inexpensive way to enhance the beauty of your garden. They look very good on a portico or balcony and give a very charming look to your home.
Grow bags are generally made of a breathable fabric that is also sturdy enough for plants to grow and are sold almost everywhere, so they are easy to purchase too. They are usually rectangular and come in a wide variety of sizes, and are versatile enough to arrange the plants according to your preference.
This description so far may sound promising, but when you get right down to it, are grow bag gardens really worth it? Read on to find out.
How To Use These Bags
Before we get into the pros and cons of a grow bag garden, let’s review how to use grow bags.
Now, not all plants can be grown in grow bags. Plants with deep roots are not suitable at all. Tomatoes, salad greens, potatoes, peppers, herbs, and other similar types of vegetables, which do not have deep roots, grow best in these grow bags. So, choose your plants carefully before you plant. Grow bags are your best bet if you want to create a garden. You can keep them on your balcony or porch and if you want to increase the number of plants, just add more bags.
Grow bags can be used to grow a variety of plants. Typically, plants that do not have deep roots work best. Potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, kohlrabi, carrots, courgettes, French beans, and spring onions are some plants that will do very well in grow bags.
The compost used in these bags is also specially prepared for them. They can work without any kind of drainage holes at the bottom of the bags. You just have to seed your vegetables as you would do in a normal garden. Similarly, you can plant herbs or flowers in the grow bags if you want.
Initially, when planting in a grow bag, remember to water your plants frugally. As the plants grow, you need to water them more often. However, keep in mind the type of weather you are getting. If it is hot and sunny, you will need to water more often. Similarly, if it is raining outside, make sure that there is proper drainage. Without proper drainage, the soil of the grow bags will get too wet and the roots of the plants will start rotting.
Moreover, make sure to give compost to your plants frequently. Since the space in the grow bags allows for only a small quantity of compost, regular compost feeding becomes a necessity. Plants need more compost for their nutritional requirements as they grow. The right type of grow bag with an appropriate soil type will make your plants grow at an exceptional rate. Make sure to choose the right grow bag and suitable soil.
Benefits Of Grow Bags
Grow bags come with many advantages over other containers or plastic pots. Given below are some reasons for you to switch over to grow bags.
- Grow bags are growing in popularity, mainly because of the fact that they can be used anywhere. No worries if you do not have a large garden. A small balcony is enough for you to grow vegetables and plants.
- You can easily move them around. Grow bags are lighter than plastic pots and have handles, which make it easier for them to be moved around for convenience.
- Fabric grow bags allow for a healthy root system to be formed. Grow bags also encourage the self-pruning of plants.
- Grow bags regulate the temperature of the plants. Since they do not heat easily and are made of breathable material, there is no chance of overheating.
- There is no chance of overwatering a plant in a grow bag. Small holes and pores in the fabric allow for the release of excess water. Mold and fungus does not grow in grow bags.
- Grow bags are suitable for both small and large gardens. They are also great for both indoors and outdoors. Plant a vegetable or flower in a small grow bag and you can move it to a larger grow bag as it matures.
- You do not have to worry about the quality of the soil in your grow bags. Since you will be adding the soil on your own, the quality will always be top notch.
- Grow bags are also very durable. They generally last for 7 to 8 seasons.
Drawbacks Of Grow Bags
Grow bags come with their own set of disadvantages. Listed below are some of them.
- Grow bags will not give much protection during a frost. They allow more breathability than pots, but the insulation level comes down low because of this. Heat escapes faster in grow bags, hence the soil cools down faster. This, in turn, will kill the plants in a frost. You can wrap it with a cloth for extra insulation. Always remember to check the weather forecast if your plants are outside in a grow bag.
- Grow bags will need more watering than normal pots. They have a good drainage system, but it also means that the soil may dry itself out more quickly, more so on a warm and arid day. A bottle watering system and a drip water system is effective for watering grow bags.
Types Of Grow Bags
When planning to use grow bags to plant your vegetables or flowers, remember that grow bags come in various shapes and sizes. Moreover, different types of plants grow well in different grow bags. While tomato plants and other similar types of plants will grow in any type of grow bag, there are some plants that can only be grown in specific grow bags. In addition, the space needed for different plants differs too.
Grow bags come in different materials. They are generally made of felt or non-woven fabrics. Grow bags have small holes, or pores, to allow the circulation of air. Water and nutrients from the soil are efficiently absorbed by it.
On the market, grow bags are available in various sizes. The size of a grow bag can be as small as 5 gallons and it may go up to 150 gallons. The size generally depends on the type of plants you mean to grow. For a flowerbed, a larger grow bag of 100-150 gallons is the apt choice. There is another choice too; you can plant various plants of a similar variety together to create a more mesmerizing look.
Final Thoughts on Whether Grow Bag Gardens are Worth It
If you want to have a beautiful garden, but you do not have the required space for it, then grow bags are the best option for you. Your balcony or porch will suffice. In addition, you will not need to worry about the soil quality, as you will be using your own soil to plant the grow bags. Moreover, they are an easier, more viable, and a better economic option. Grow bags will allow a healthy circulation of air through the plant, which will make the plants stronger and more fibrous. So, can say that grow bag gardens are definitely worth it!