Did you wake up to find your favorite plant trampled? Are you tired of your dog’s food being eaten before he can get to it? Is it possible that a possum has found shelter in your yard?
Possums are frequently found in both rural and urban houses. Most homeowners see them as a nuisance because they almost always cause damage. This damage can be anything from them rummaging through your garbage cans and tilting them over to helping themselves to your fruit trees.
While possums typically don’t attack humans or carry rabies, they can harm your garden. Moreover, they have plenty of scary teeth, which can frighten pets and children. So you’re far from alone in trying to get rid of them.
The good news is that there are several pretty easy ways to control their movement in your yard and to discourage them from coming in. Here are 7 of the most effective ones to get rid of possums in your yard.
- 7 Ways to Get Rid of Possums in Your Yard
- 1. Repellents
- 2. Fencing
- 3. Block Access Points Like Holes
- 4. Remove Attractions
- 5. Traps
- 6. Install A Nesting Box Nearby
- 7. The Last Resort – Shooting
- The Best Possum Repellents
- Final Thoughts
7 Ways to Get Rid of Possums in Your Yard
Repellents are one of the most popular possum removal methods. They use sight, smell, taste, or sound to make possums leave your yard.
You can choose whichever kind appeals the most to you.
Use Chemicals to Get Rid of Possums in Your Yard
Chemical repellents tend to come in liquid form and use smell. You’ve probably heard that animals mark their territories by urinating there. It asserts dominance and keeps inferior species away.
These repellents are made of a mixture of predator urine, egg powder, soap, garlic, etc. Some even have hot pepper extract. Each one of them will keep possums away.
You can find them at almost all hardware stores. Apply them to your flower beds, plants, trees, and structure bases. The only downside to chemical repellents is their price tag. They are a little expensive.
Since they’re only effective when applied regularly and in high concentrations, they aren’t a practical option for many people.
- ✅ GETS RID OF and KEEPS AWAY Skunks, Raccoons, Rats, Mice, Deer and Other Nuisance Pests & Critters From Unwanted Areas Such As Homes, Yards, Flowers, Gardens and Landscaping
- ✅ INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE – For Indoor Applications Use In Cellars, Basements, Attics and Crawlspaces
- ✅ EASY TO USE JUST SHAKE AND SPRAY - Comes With Comfortable Heavy Duty Trigger Sprayer That Is Guaranteed Not To Clog. Covers Approximately 1,000 square feet. Product is Waterproof and Lasts Up To 90 Days and Doesn’t Wash Off Easily
- ✅ NATURAL INGREDIENTS - DOESNT STINK! Peppermint Scent.
- ✅ 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE – If You’re Unhappy With Our Product, For Any Reason, Call Or Email Us And Your Purchase Will Be Reimbursed Without Question.
Use Electronic Repellents to Get Rid of Possums in Your Yard
Electronic repellents are typically motion-activated machines that drive away possums. One of the most common types is a motion-activated sprinkler because it is super simple to operate.
You have to turn it on when you are going to sleep since possums come out at night. Once activated, the sprinkler will spray water as soon as it detects movement in the areas around it. This sort of assault will keep possums out of your yard.
You can use this or other types of electronic repellents in your lawns, around trees and bins, or even inside barns.
Other options include wind chimes and lawn lights.
Recommended Electronic Repellents
|Top Top||Amerfist Solar Animal Repeller, 2021 Ultrasonic Mole Repellent, Rat, Squirrel, Deer, Raccoon, Skunk, Rabbit, Mole, Dog, Cat, Waterproof with Motion Detector, USB Rechargeable, Flashing Light (Green)||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Hoont Solar Powered Motion Activated Ultrasonic with Flashing Strobe Outdoor Animal and Pest Repeller||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Aspectek Upgraded Powerful Yard Sentinel, Outdoor Electronic Pest Animal Ultrasonic Repeller, with Ac Adaptor, Extension Cord For Rat, Mouse, Deer Raccoon Rabbits Birds||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||izbie Z1 Ultrasonic Solar Outdoor Animal Repellent - Cat Repellent Outdoor, Squirrel Repellent, Cat Deterrent, Dog Repellent, Bird Repellent, Deer Repellent, Skunk Repellent, Raccoon Repellent - Green||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||FAYINWBO Solar ultrasonic Animal Repeller, Waterproof Outdoor Equipment, Motion-Triggered PIR Sensor can Trigger Alarms and Flashes, Suitable for Cats, Dogs, Squirrels, Raccoons, mice, etc.||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
If your lawn has possums, you need to check your fencing for damage. Any holes or rotten boards can give them access to your house.
If you don’t already have fencing, you should install some. While possums are good climbers, they can not outsmart electric wire.
Put in fencing of at least 4 feet with an electric coil on top of it, and no new possums will come onto your property. Adding it at an outward angle further solidifies your defense.
3. Block Access Points Like Holes
Open holes in places other than your fence are also access points for possums. They become especially problematic once a possum crosses your fence and enters your property.
Chimney holes and vents give them access to your house. If they get inside, they can chew through wiring, scare the residents, and steal food. So, in addition to the fencing, it is important to keep your house safe.
Even if you have 4 feet high fencing with electric wiring, we would still recommend securing these points.
Moreover, possums also often enter homes through pet doors. So if you live in an area with possums, you will want to secure them and keep your pets indoors wherever possible.
Since possums are excellent climbers and use trees to find weak points in your home’s security, trimming branches is another way to stop them from getting into your house.
4. Remove Attractions
Think about why possums are coming to your house. They want food and shelter. If you take both those things away, they won’t have anything to come to your house for anymore.
Stop putting pet food and trash outside during the night. Both are basically invitations for possums to come and have a party.
If you have fruit trees, make sure there isn’t any fruit on the ground. Moreover, use chemical repellents on the trees.
Also, remove concrete slabs and brush piles. Possums tend to use destroyed homes as residences. Any dilapidated buildings should either be fixed up or sprayed regularly.
If a possum has already gotten into your property, preventative measures like fencing won’t do you any good. While they will stop more possums from coming into your house, they can not do anything about the ones that are already in.
Traps are the best way to get rid of those ones.
Possums eat a wide variety of food. However, their food preferences all have three substances in common: insects, grain, and fruit. You can use fruit jam or overripe fruit.
Humane traps can be set up near or on the animal trail and the places it gets food from. Since possums aren’t intelligent animals, they will climb onto the trap, unable to leave until you release it.
Recommended Humane Traps
|Faicuk Large Collapsible Humane Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Opossum, Stray Cat, Rabbit, Groundhog and Armadillo - 32" x 11" x 13"||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||HomGarden Live Animal Cage Trap 32'' Steel Humane Release Rodent Cage for Rabbits, Stray Cat, Squirrel, Raccoon, Mole, Gopher, Chicken, Opossum, Skunk, Chipmunks, Groundhog Squire||Prime||Check Price on Amazon|
|ANT MARCH Live Animal Cage Trap 24"x8.5"x7.5'' Steel Humane Release Rodent Cage for small Cat, Rabbits, Squirrel, Mole, Gopher, Chicken, Opossum, Skunk, Chipmunks, Groundhog Squire Small Animals Style||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|HomGarden Humane Live Animal Cage Trap 32inch Steel Catch Release Rodent Cage for Rabbits, Groundhog, Stray Cat, Squirrel, Raccoon, Mole, Gopher, Chicken, Opossum, Skunk, Chipmunks||Prime||Check Price on Amazon|
|Smartxchoices 32" X 12" X 12.5" Large Live Animal Trap Cage Humane One-Door Solid Steel Catch and Release Rodent Cage for Raccoon, Rabbits, Stray Cats, Squirrel, Groundhogs, Opossums, Armadillos||Prime||Check Price on Amazon|
Lethal traps shouldn’t be used unless absolutely necessary. They kill the possums, and you should always try to use other methods to get rid of them before using this one.
If you do decide to use it, you can place the traps near your fence. They’re super effective in shallow pits and hollow trunks.
6. Install A Nesting Box Nearby
Another great way to get rid of possums in your yard is by giving them a nicer place to live in. You can create a nesting box nearby where they can live peacefully without disturbing you.
When setting it up, remember to make it tight and snug. Possums are often hunted by other animals like dogs during the night, so they prefer spots that can protect them from large predators.
7. The Last Resort – Shooting
If none of the 6 methods listed above work, you can try shooting the possum. You should know that many states in the US have banned shooting them, so it is important to check what the law says before you get your gun.
If you live in a state without a ban, own a gun, and are okay with killing the possum, you can use this method. Get a powerful flashlight because you’ll have to go out looking for them at night.
In addition to helping you see in the dark, strong light disorients animals, so when you find the possum, it will freeze for a moment. You need to be quick with your gun and make use of that moment.
Moreover, possums are known to play dead. So when checking if it is actually dead, be super careful. Use thick gloves to pick it up, and be prepared for it to jump up at you.
The Best Possum Repellents
The most popular way to get rid of possums from a yard is by using repellents. This wide usage means that there are hundreds of products on the market. New ones are put out every few months, and each company promotes theirs as the best one.
So it can be difficult to decide which one you should get. We’ve made a list of the most effective ones to make the job easier for you.
Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion-Activated Sprinkler
This electronic repellent is super effective because it uses a powerful water jet. It sprays as soon as an animal approaches it. The machine uses infrared technology to achieve this result.
The water frightens animals and makes them leave. However, it does not hurt them. This makes the Orbit sprinkler one of the most humane ways of getting rid of possums from your lawn.
It has a range of up to 40 feet, which covers over 1600 square feet of land. The spray stops when the animal moves out of range.
One great feature of the product is its ability to move between repellent and 24/7 mode. You can set it to only spray when an animal is wandering about or to a constant stream of water. The latter is excellent for regular watering of lawns.
However, there is one downside. Animals get used to the sprinkler and stop being scared of it. So you need to keep moving it, so the spray is unpredictable and keeps them in fear.
- HUMANELY REPELS ANIMALS AND PESTS: Keeps animals and pests out of plants, yards and gardens using a harmless spray of water
- UNIQUE DAY AND NIGHT DETECTION: The only deterrent sprinkler on the market with options for day only, night only, or 24 hour protection, giving you the flexibility to ensure the Yard Enforcer only activates when you need it
- STABLE DESIGN: Simply press spike into soil or turf to firmly hold the Yard Enforcer in place
- SAVE WATER AND BATTERY LIFE: Includes sensing technology for optimum water and battery conservation; get over 7,500 activation cycles on just 4 AA alkaline batteries and as little as 2 cups of water per activation
- INTELLIGENT SENSING TECHNOLOGY: Sensing technology learns the difference between trees and animals, so your water will not activate every time the wind blows
- LARGE-AREA COVERAGE: Sprays up to 70 feet in diameter, covering 3,840 square feet when set to a full circle
- ADJUSTABLE RANGE: Allows fine-tuning for different size animals, infrared motion sensor has a range detection of up to 40 feet in a 120-degree arc
- ACCURATE AIM: Precision aiming with the ability to position the sensor up, down, left, or right
- WATERING DURATION CONTROL: Duration adjusts from quick squirt to a good soak, can be used in 30 minute watering mode as a timed sprinkler
- TWO FLOW-THROUGH OUTLETS: One outlet lets you connect sprinklers to the flow-through controlled by the sensor and valve. The other outlet lets you add more Yard Enforcers for multiple coverage areas
Critter Repellent Shake Away All Natural Fox Urine Granules
The best chemical repellents use predator urine to drive away possums. But this repellent doesn’t stop there. In addition to possums, it also drives away a number of other animals.
Foxes hunt several species; they are high up in the food chain. So most smaller animals are scared of it and will want to avoid any place a fox has marked as its territory.
Moreover, since the Shake Away is 100% natural, it isn’t harmful to kids or pets. The only thing it does is make your lawn smell like a fox’s urine.
You do need to remember to use a good amount of the granules for it to be effective.
- Takes advantage of the predator-prey relationship and prey animals genetically programmed instinct of fear
- Non-toxic, organic method to reduce and often eliminate pest browsing problems
- Provides an easy way to apply time-released urine-impregnated granules
- Great for deterring rabbits, groundhogs and poss
Predator Guard Solar Powered Predator Deterrent Light
The last repellent on our list is another mechanical option. Almost all nocturnal animals hate light. That’s why they come out at night.
This repellent imitates predator eyes and shines bright. Since possums are unlikely to want to be in the same place with an animal that could harm or worse kill them, they will steer clear of your lawn.
It is used in chicken coops, sheds, vineyards, etc., and will be very effective in your lawn.
- ★ The Worlds No.1 Best Selling Predator Deterrent Light. Buy 2 Get 10% off - Buy 4 Get 15% off!
- ★ Made With the Toughest Industrial Components, Predator Guard Ensures Long Life with No Maintenance Required
- ★ Repels All Common Predators: Fox, Deer, Wolf, Coyote, Raccoon, Skunk, Bear. Protects: Gardens, Orchards, Vineyards, Ponds, Livestock, Chicken Coops, Trash Bins, Property, Campsites
- ★ Solar LED Unit Automatically Charges Itself and Turns Itself On At Night and Off in DayLight - Set it Up Once and Your Done! Unlike other products our exclusive alternating flashing pattern ensures animals do not become used to the lights.
- ★ SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We stand behind our customers and our products. Try Predator Guard deterrent lights 100% Risk-Free for 30 days. If you are not absolutely DELIGHTED with the results we will refund 100% of your purchase. No questions asked All units come with a 3 Year Warranty against all defects. In the unlikely event that your Predator Guard unit malfunctions, simply return it to us and well rush you an immediate replacement u
Try using one of the three repellents in our list before anything else. Then carry out preventative measures like fencing and blocking holes. After that, you should look at radical ways to get rid of possums like shooting and lethal traps.
Darrell has a passion for gardening that he inherited from his father. Go here to read more about the influence his father played in his love for gardening. If you want to send Darrell a quick message, then visit his contact page here.